Saturday, June 30, 2007

King Asa

I usually do my jogging with my dogs at the nearby cemetery near where I stay. Aside from the physical benefits of dog walking and not to mention a very effective way to relieve me of “ministerial stress” it has also given me the special moment to reflect and do some timely realization. My jogging / dog walking ritual allows me to observe several things like the reading of the epitaphs written on the tombs. I remember what Philip Gurlley ( a Quaker minister) said about epitaphs, in reading people’s epitaphs you can read the name of the person and two important dates: birth date and the death date. Here you realize the brevity of life and you can’t ignore the question that runs like this “ between those two dates is there a life well lived?”

What then is a well lived life? By what standard shall it be measured? Who can say that such life is well lived? As a believer in Jesus Christ I am confident that eternal destiny of those who trusted Christ as their Lord is already guaranteed safe! But the life lived while waiting for eternity is another story. One can be saved and yet die sad. I have in my mind King Asa the king who called on the Lord for Help and deliverance and yet on the 35th year of his rule Asa declined spiritually from brokenness he is back to self sufficiency, you can read his story in 2 Chronicles 15-16. He died sad and obviously he did not lived a well lived life. For the simple standard of the condition of his heart, he NO LONGER CALLED ON THE LORD FOR HELP!

Here’s the answer to our question what’s a well lived life? A well lived life is the life that is not lived for self but for the GLORY of the Lord, a life that breathes on the altar of fervent prayer calling upon the Lord for Help, a life that is HUNGRY for God Himself and daily surrendered for His purpose. Jesus Christ our Lord must be the source of our strength and His glory the pursuit of our living. Have you ever taken a necessary pause and ask yourself the timely question “Am I read for eternity?” “Am I living a well lived life?” The answer lies in the person of Christ. Jesus defines what a well lives life is.

“…..Even when the disease became life threatening, he (Asa) did not seek

The LORD’S HELP.” (2 Chronicles 16:13)

Oh how sad, having begun with trusting God and ended trusting self. Sad indeed! We need the Lord today more than we needed Him yesterday. Let us always find ourselves in great need of God! This is how we face eternity and live life well! I NEED THEE OH I NEED THEE EVERY HOUR I NEED THEE!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home