Friday, June 29, 2007

Learning to face your doubts in grace

The Christian journey is not about a race it’s a journey of faith and spiritual maturity. Along this rugged path we learn to deal with the realities of sufferings and other many obstacles that actually birth more questions than doubt. I agree with the feeling and honest observation of Dr. Charles Swindoll about the hymn “My Faith has found a resting place” there’s a line that says “it ends my fears and doubts” according to Chuck though our faith is settled in Christ, it does not end our fears and doubts. I bring myself aside and try to ask the hard questions regarding the issue of doubt. I must admit I have many more in my heart. Candidly, I say that sometimes I need to confront my self after I preach a sermon the hard question that probes down the depth of my heart-“Do I really believe what I just have said?” It’s a scary yet necessary moment.

Who drives the dark clouds of doubt away? How long and how soon are they gone? Or how quick they return? I take refuge on the grace of our Lord in dealing with my doubts, especially how the Lord is ever present and ever gracious when we are bombarded with our doubts, even those ones that falls border line with being a heretic? Yes the Lord remains GRACIOUS. Remember Thomas often called the “doubter” it took 8 days in doubt before finally recovering from it. I wonder how was life in those days of doubt? What could have happened if the Master did not meet him? Perhaps the relevant question now is what are going to do with our own “8 days” or more days in doubt? Let’s learn to face it in grace as the Master is gracious. When in doubt I find these insights very helpful

.

  • When in doubt express it.
  • When in doubt learn to face it instead of covering it
  • When in doubt learn to restrain in making commitments or declaration, put aside.
  • When in doubt learn from it, pay attention to it
  • When in doubt take it to God in honest prayer.
  • When in doubt depend on God to triumph over it.
  • When in doubt learn to live with it

As of the moment I find these insights helpful to me, they are not hard fast rules and certainly not infallible just some lessons I have learn along the journey of life. I am prayerful that this will be useful to you too, remember this verse:

“Jesus told him, “ I am the way the truth and the life. No one come to the

Father except through me.” John 14:6 NLT

This is the bed rock foundation of evangelical Christianity, yet before we forget this is God’s gracious answer to a disciple who dared express his doubt. The presence of doubt in our hearts does not erase the grace of God, honestly it magnifies it! Let’s all learn to deal with our doubts in GRACE.

2 Comments:

Blogger URfriend, Dean Johnson said...

I liked your comment about the response of Jesus to Thomas the doubter. Jesus is comforting his disciples concerning their doubts.

This topic also came up on my blog:
URfriendly Reflections


The John 14 passage is Jesus comforting Peter concerning his coming thrice denial of the Christ,
John 13:38
.

Jesus comforts Peter by explaining that Christ is the way to God. Peter is included in the Christ who is the temple of God and the house with many mansions, that returns to the Father.

Access to the Father is provided in the Christ. Even if we deny him, and even "If we believe not, [yet] he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself." (2 Timothy 2:13)

Access to God is found in this temple. Peter is included in the temple, and in the Christ. And so Christ is the way to the Father, not only for Peter, but also for all who are included. In
Ephesians 2:14-15
, Paul explains this more explicitly by stating that Jews and Gentiles or all humanity is included in this cosmic body of Christ [Ephesians 1:10, 4:6] that returns to the Father. This universal temple that has many mansions for all humanity is the house that God is building. Ephesians 2:19.

For every house is builded by some [man]; but he that built all things [is] God. Hebrews 3:4.

Jesus words are far more inclusive than is commonly understood.

I suggest that the way to the Father depends more on Christ than on us.

Check it out if you like.

URfriend, Dean Johnson

3:35 PM  
Blogger arneltan said...

hi dean thanks for dropping by

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home